- Candace Neff Director
News & Press Releases
In an effort to provide those who visit this site with up-to-date information regarding events or stories of interest happening within the diocese, the Secretariat for Communications researches and prepares articles and news releases.
Access to the most recent news is available under "News Headlines" on the home page. Copies of old stories are available by accessing the Archives at the end of the News and Press Release section.
How You are Helping Jesus in Disguise
Each year on the fourth weekend of Lent, the Catholic Relief Services Collection is taken up in most dioceses across the country. In the Diocese of Gaylord, instead of a special collection, a donation is made to Catholic Relief Services (CRS) on behalf of the faithful of this diocese from gifts to the annual Catholic Services Appeal (CSA).
CRS supports Catholic Church organizations that carry out international relief and solidarity efforts and is an important opportunity to express Christian compassion and generosity. The theme Give Hope to Jesus in Disguise compels us to realize that everyone we meet should be viewed through the lens of them being Jesus, and treated with the same decency and reverence we afford to Him.
The funds collected by CRS support vital Catholic programs that share in the Catholic mission of promoting the sacredness of human life and the dignity of the human person. CRS provides for humanitarian, economic, and advocacy efforts for the marginalized and impoverished worldwide.
The generosity of Catholics to CRS is critical to the work of the Church in caring for the urgent needs of our brothers and sisters around the world who are victims of war, persecution, disasters, and poverty. For over 60 years, the CRS Collection has made it possible to reach out in love and solidarity reaching more than 100 million lives through six Catholic agencies :
- Catholic Relief Services , the official international relief and development agency of the Catholic community in the United States, assists people in 98 countries on the basis of neednot race, creed, or nationality.
- Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. , provides a full range of legal and support services to Catholic programs directly representing poor immigrants as well as advocating for comprehensive immigration reform. Its focus is on reunification of families and protection of those fleeing persecution or civil unrest.
- Migration and Refugee Services , of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), annually resettles one quarter of the refugees admitted to the United States, serves victims of human trafficking, and provides advocacy for and pastoral care to many newcomers and persons on the move.
- Justice, Peace, and Human Development. (formerly Social Development and World Peace) of the USCCB, advocates for poor and vulnerable people and for international peace and justice. It works to build the capacity of the Church to respond to global concerns such as religious freedom, poverty, and hunger.
- The Secretariat of Cultural Diversity in the Church, (SCDC) of the USCCB, has as part of its mission the evangelization and pastoral care of immigrants, migrants, refugees, and diocesan personnel who minister to various ethnic groups and migrant communities.
- The Holy Fathers Relief Fund assists victims of natural disasters and other emergencies around the world.
Programs of these six agencies include: relief and resettlement for victims of persecution, war, and natural disasters; development projects to improve living conditions for the poor; legal and support services for poor immigrants; peace and reconciliation work for people suffering from violence; and advocacy on behalf of the powerless.
Through your gifts to the annual CSA, you are a part of this vital ministry of the Universal Church. Thank you for your financial and prayerful support.