- Mackenzie Ritchie Manager
News & Press Releases
In an effort to provide those who visit this site with up-to-date information regarding events or stories of interest happening within the diocese, the Secretariat for Communications researches and prepares articles and news releases.
Access to the most recent news is available under "News Headlines" on the home page. Copies of old stories are available by accessing the Archives at the end of the News and Press Release section.
Diocese of Gaylord's Response to Financial Challenges of Parishes and Schools
DIOCESE OF GAYLORD’S RESPONSE TO FINANCIAL CHALLENGES OF PARISHES AND SCHOOLS
JULY 10, 2020 – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
GAYLORD, MICHIGAN — In support of our parishes and parish life, and in continued preparation for a safe return to school this fall, the Diocese of Gaylord has looked to provide relief and response to the financial challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic as we are able. Bishop Walter Hurley, the Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese of Gaylord, shared in a statement:
“The past few months have been challenging, but our faith reassures us that Christ can calm even the most daunting of storms. This reminds us that through His strength, our mission as Catholics remains to be a beacon of hope amidst conditions that are ever-changing. The COVID-19 pandemic has certainly caused unexpected change to financial circumstances, and it is critical that this not be a roadblock for our parishes and schools to serve the faithful and our students. We are preparing to safely open our schools this fall and the financial relief and response efforts in our diocese — particularly the tuition assistance to our schools — will help families continue to receive a Catholic education for their children. We are working with the pastors, principals, staff and faculty to safeguard the health and safety of our young people and those that serve them, in both our schools and in our religious education programs.”
- The Catholic Services Appeal target was reduced by 20% for all parishes for the fiscal year 2020-21.
- The priests’ Sabbatical Fund support, totaling $30,000, was not billed to parishes as is typically done each May.
- The Seminarian Education Fund Collection, typically taken up in August, will not take place this year.
- The Bishop’s Golf Outing for the Seminarians, typically held in August, will not take place this year.
- $300,000 in tuition assistance from the diocese has been approved for disbursement to our Catholic Schools. This special aid for the 2020-21 school year will be used to assist returning and new families whose tuition needs may be greater this year. This tuition assistance was given to each school to help “fill the gap” between the amount of tuition aid they awarded in the recently completed academic year and the estimated tuition assistance they will award in the upcoming academic year. The following grants for this purpose have been made to the parishes/schools to date:
- All Saints, Alpena: $6,000
- Bishop Baraga, Cheboygan: $23,000
- Grand Traverse Area Catholic Schools, Traverse City: $130,000
- Holy Family, East Tawas: $7,500
- Manistee Catholic Central, Manistee: $20,000
- Our Lady of the Lake, Prudenville: $3,000
- St. Ann, Cadillac: $6,000
- St. Francis, Petoskey: $10,000
- St. Ignatius of Loyola, Rogers City: $3,500
- St. Joseph, West Branch: $3,500
- St. Mary Cathedral School, Gaylord: $24,000
- St. Mary-Hannah School, Kingsley: $1,500
- St. Mary, Charlevoix: $5,500
- St. Mary, Lake Leelanau: $10,000
Additionally providing relief within our diocese, the Northern Michigan Catholic Foundation (NMCF) recently awarded a total of $22,750 to parishes and Catholic Schools in northern Michigan. Grants were made possible through the NMCF Cornerstone Fund and the COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund.
The Diocese of Gaylord was established by His Holiness Pope Paul VI on July 20, 1971. The territory encompasses 11,171 square miles and includes the 21 most northern counties of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula. The region is home to nearly 50,000 Catholics, served by 75 parishes, 17 Catholic schools and many closely-related institutions. For more information, visit www.dioceseofgaylord.org.
Keywords: Roman Catholic Church, Diocese of Gaylord, Financial Response, Financial Relief, COVID-19 Relief, Tuition Assistance.
Media Contact: Ms. Mackenzie Ritchie, Manager of Communications / firstname.lastname@example.org / 989.732.5147