Category: Parish Position
New Beginnings Thrift Shop
Status: Part Time
New Beginnings, a ministry of Holy Childhood Catholic Church in Harbor Springs is seeking a Maintenance Associate. Hours will be approximately 19 hours per week and will vary according to business need. Shifts will correspond with open store hours: Monday-Saturday 9am to 6pm. Salary range: $12-$13 an hour with store discounts.
Maintenance Associates will be customer service oriented, professional, friendly, have great attention to detail, be hard-working, knowledgeable of building and property general maintenance and ability to lift to 100 lbs. The New Beginnings Resale maintenance associate is responsible for cleaning and maintaining the company’s properties to make them attractive and always functional for patrons’ use & safety, assist customers with mobility of larger, heavier, and inaccessible items & assist staff members with larger, heavier items & displaying certain items. The maintenance associate should be able to work fast, multitask & adapt to daily challenges with a positive attitude.
- Schedule important routine maintenance and perform such on equipment and machines used for jobs and document it.
- Keep all maintenance records properly.
- Repair and troubleshoot defective equipment.
- Clean and maintain every part of the building and store, including the windows, floors, roofs, and restroom.
- Remove dirt and trash from the floor and empty trash bins appropriately.
- Run errands as described by the superior officer.
- Keep all work areas organized and clean.
- Clean ceiling fans, radiators; mop, vacuum, sweep, and dust all dirt prone area.s
- Engage in special projects and certain heavy cleansing tasks.
- Cleans assigned areas daily; clean furniture, fixtures, walls, windows, glass, display cases, partitions, light fixtures, floor mats and runners, dry mop/wash floors etc.
- Keeps building and premises, including sidewalks and play areas, safe, neat, and clean always.
- Shovels and salts outside walkways and steps, as appropriate promoting safety for walking.
- Keeps all floors and corridors in a clean and attractive condition.
- Scrub, mop and disinfect toilets and lunchroom floors daily, clean sanitary fixtures daily.
- Wash windows, both inside and outside, as necessary and weather permitting.
- Provide regular/orderly trash/cardboard/recyclables removal; empty trash cans daily and assist in keeping the grounds free from garbage.
- Aid in minor building repairs such as replacing light bulbs. Report major repairs and property damage to management.
- If assigned, responsible for closing the building; ensuring doors and windows are secured as well as turning off lights except lights left on for safety reasons.
- Vacuums/power cleans carpets and upholstered furnishings, spot clean stains.
- Moves/arranges furnishings, supplies and equipment as directed.
- Inform management about workplace concerns such as damaged equipment, leaks, noises, structural defects, unusual odors, etc.
- Notifies management when supply levels require replenishment.
- Ensures that materials are labeled/stored properly and seeks advice about product use or disposal procedures.
- Follows approved health and safety guidelines to clean up injuries involving chemicals, solvents, blood, body fluids and/or body tissues. Reports personal injuries that require treatment to management.
- Adhere to company policies and procedures including local, state, and federal laws and regulations. Attend safety, training, and informational meetings.
- Protects district property and ensures assigned work areas are secured at the end of shift.
- Maintains a professional appearance and wears work attire appropriate for the position.
- Punctual; provides prompt notification to management of attendance delays or absences.
- Always adhere to Diocese of Gaylord regulations and remain confidential.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Generally, the job requires 5% sitting, 80% walking, 15% standing.
- Requires ability for lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling, climbing, and balancing, bending, frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling.
- Operating equipment used in skilled trades, power, and hand tools.
- Adhering to safety, security and sanitation practices, handling cleaning solvents and/or necessary repair products (i.e., paint, adhesives).
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- When assigned, assist with the receiving, sorting, cleaning, and pricing of donations.
- When assigned, tests electronic donations for working condition.
- Assist with the delegation of tasks to volunteers.
- Follow all store opening and closing procedures.
- Handle situations in a professional and responsible manner.
- Be able to work independently or as a team member.
- Back up driver for 16 ft. box truck.
- Assist in the maintenance of the interior/exterior of vehicle. Keep vehicle clean, in good operating condition to include maintaining fluid levels and replacing and/or adjusting minor worn or damaged parts (belts, plugs, fuses, etc.). Keep vehicle on a preventive maintenance schedule and work with outside vendors when necessary (tires, body repairs, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Abide by all policies and procedures in the New Beginnings & Diocese of Gaylord Employee Handbook.
- Loads/Unloads furniture, clothing, housewares, and related items on and off the trucks, ensuring safe arrival of goods.
- Maintain a clean Michigan driver’s license.
- Report accidents.
- Perform miscellaneous jobs.
- Check the fire alarm, emergency lighting and building security systems monthly.
- Develop working relationships with professional tradesman (i.e. electrician, plumber, etc.) and access them when necessary.
- Pick up/deliver donations/items from & to stores, businesses, private homes, etc.
Skills & Competencies:
- Professionalism: Maintains the highest level of professionalism in the delivery/pickup of goods, maintaining the building/grounds, collaboration with co-workers, and representation of New Beginnings Resale within the organization and the community.
- Communication: Speaks appropriately in positive and/or negative conversations with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, donors and constituents; articulates the goals of New Beginnings Resale.
- Record-Keeping: Routine clerical or record-keeping incidental to the essential responsibilities of the job.
- Job Knowledge: Possesses the practical and technical knowledge required on the job.
- Attendance: Acceptable overall attendance record, consistently at work and on time.
- Reliability: Relied upon regarding task completion and follow-up. Follows instructions, responds to management direction, and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Initiative: Seeks out new assignments and is willing to be flexible with additional duties.
- Adherence to Policy: Follows safety and workplace expectations, regulations and processes as defined in the Employee Handbook.
- Work Ethic: Demonstrates a commitment to the Mission and adheres to the Operating Principles of New Beginnings Resale and works as part of a team toward a common goal.
- Safety & Security: Actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record required.
- MUST be available to work Mon - Sat 8:30am to 6:30pm … 6-9 hour varying shifts.
- Punctual and work required shifts consistently.
- Able to deal with the public in a friendly and courteous manner.
- Must be 18 to apply; background check required.
Apply online with the application and background check found below, or apply in the store at:
NEW BEGINNINGS RESALE STORE
650 W. CONWAY RD.
HARBOR SPRINGS, MI