- Mrs. Beth Hicks Coordinator for Worship and Liturgical Formation
Diocesan Worship Commission
The liturgy is the summit toward which the activity of the Church is directed; it is also the fount from which all her power flows (SC #10)
The Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, Sacrosanctum Concilium (1963) was promulgated by Pope Paul VI on December 4, 1963 at the close of the second Vatican Council. Concerning diocesan commissions for liturgy, music, and art it states, For the same reason every diocese is to have a commission on the liturgy, under the direction of the bishop, for promoting the liturgical apostolate (Par. 45).
The Worship Commission for the Diocese of Gaylord exists as a consultative body to the Bishop in his role as chief liturgist of the Diocese. The commission, in collaboration with the Office for Worship and Liturgical Formation, also serve parishes by:
- Offering workshops and classes for liturgical formation.
- Acting as a rich resource for liturgical matters including RCIA, environment & art, music, lay formation, multi-cultural issues and parish worship committees.
- Assisting with clergy formation.
- Offering certification classes for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion and SCAP ministers.
- Assist and guide parishes in matters of liturgical renewal.
COMMITTEES OF THE WORSHIP COMMISSION
Rites and Rituals
The purpose of this committee is to:
- Prepare policies for the reception of the Sacraments
- Create guidelines beyond the rites for celebrating the sacraments
- Assist in the formation of those who work in the area of sacramental catechesis
- Create and facilitate workshops
Back to Top
The objective of this Committee is to work with the Rites and Rituals Committee to:
- Form leaders for sacramental preparation in parishes
- Educate parishes about the RCIA process and serve as a resource to RCIA Directors and team members
- Foster ongoing formation and training of RCIA team members
- Assist parishes in the preparation of RCIA liturgical rites
- Be a resource for catechetical material for the RCIA process.
God has bestowed upon his people the gift of song. God dwells within each human person, in the place where music takes its source. Indeed, God, the giver of song, is present whenever his people sing his praises (Sing to the Lord: Music in Divine Worship, #1).
The objectives of the Music Committee are: to assist the Bishop of Gaylord in providing guidance for all pastoral musicians in the diocese in accord with the Churchs documents on music; to provide continuing education for those involved in music ministry; and, to assist with and participate in liturgical celebrations of the diocese.
The Music Committee works to promote and enhance music in all liturgical celebrations of the diocese. Individual committee members are available to assist with parish music ministry.
But Christ always invites us to enter into song, to rise above our own preoccupations, and to give our entire selves to the hymn of his Paschal Sacrifice for the honor and glory of the Most Blessed Trinity (Sing to the Lord: Music in Divine Worship, #14).
Dr. Wayne Wyrembelski
St Mary Cathedral
606 NL Ohio Avenue
Gaylord, MI 49735
Art and Architecture
The church building is both the house of God on earth (domus Dei) and a house fit for the prayers of the saints (domus ecclesiae). Such a house of prayer must be expressive of the presence of God and suited for the celebration of the sacrifice of Christ, as well as reflective of the community that celebrates there (Built of Living Stones, #16).
The Art & Architecture Committee's objective is to assist the Bishop of Gaylord in upholding certain criteria for the art & architecture of the parish worship space which helps worshippers enter more fully into a relationship that transcends time and space.
The committee members are available for consultation with parish art and environment committees or to assist parishes in starting an A & E committee. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. We are here to assist you in your ministry.
Rev. Duane Wachowiak
Back to Top